Wednesday, April 2, 2014

What's In A Name!!

Shakespeare has rightly stated, 
"What's In A Name? That, Which We Call A Rose,
By Any Other Name, Would Smell As Sweet!”

My name is Amruta and I love my name. Amruta is derived from ‘Amrut’ i.e. ‘The drink of immortality’. Amruta is ‘Elixir of life’. Amruta means sweetness. Amruta means immortal. It’s so fantastic.

When I was a child, many people used to taunt me that it's a very common name. I used to hate this feeling that many girls are having the same name as mine.I wanted my name to be unique. I complained the same to my mother, but when she told me the literal meaning of my name I was so happy. And believe me even in my huge circle of friends there is not a single girl named Amruta. How cool is that!!

I believe a name gives you a unique identity. Name is the first thing that becomes your’s after your birth and sticks to you till your last breath and yes even after that. People recognize you by your name. A name, helps you to stand out of the crowd. 

My name means everything to me. I really hate when people change their name just to have a stylish one. I know it’s their choice, but still!! One of my friends got married and her in-laws changed her name. Next day she immediately updated her  name on FB with a fully different name and surname with no traces of the old one. 

I pinged her and asked, “ Hey, why did you change your name?”

She: (excitedly) “Hey, it’s my new name. Isn’t it cool!! “

Me: “ Yeah, But What about your name? The name by which we know you.”

She: “ What’s in a name? The way you got used to my previous name, you will get used to this too.”

Me: “But what if somebody searches by your old name. Nobody would be able to find you.”

She: “I have told my friends about my new name. And I am really loving it. I am going to completely erase my old name.”

Me: “But why. I mean your old name is nice and unique. Won’t you feel lost. I mean all your documents, your birth certificate, your report cards, your achievements, your awards all will have your old name. How will you erase them. If somebody changed my name I would feel like I died. ”

She: “ Err, I don’t know. My sweet hubby has chosen this name for me. How can I say no to him. Btw, I am busy right now. cya.”

I understood she had no answer.

After 5 mins

*Blocked* 

This was the simplest way to avoid me and my doubts. May be I stretched it too far. But are my questions wrong?  Our parents name us. They also might be having some feelings, some stories relating to our name. How can we just forget who we are and start living a new name.  Our name is what we are!! If we can't even respect our name, how can we expect others to respect us.

I am married, but still using my pre-marital name and my husband is all happy with it.


1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and reading my post. Your comments are valuable for me. Please comment as it will help me in my learning process.
-Amruta